Tuesday, May 1, 2018

My Amazing YYAS Experience, by Ruth Mekonnen

Ruth Mekonnen '17 (right) shares a smile with her friend and fellow participant at YYAS 2017 in Zimbabwe.
If you had asked me two years ago whether I could see myself boarding a flight on my own to attend a high intensity summer program all the way in the southern hemisphere, I would have replied with an automatic ‘no’. But believe it or not, I, Ruth Alemu Mekonnen, had actually managed to snag a spot at YYAS and I will forever be indebted to the YYAS team for giving me this wonderful opportunity.

Those seven action-packed days at Arundel School in Harare, Zimbabwe, changed me tremendously. Each day at the program I heard a thought-provoking lecture delivered by renowned Yale faculty followed by an intense discussion session section with my fellow participants, which is when I really get to know my peers. The atmosphere was similar during our assigned seminars, which covered a wide range of topics and themes. I thoroughly enjoyed the heated debates and enlightening conversations we had during these times of day. Being surrounded by people with many different perspectives was the highlight of the program. They made me think of things I would never even consider before. Moreover, I feel much more aware of what is happening in other parts of Africa now more than ever.




Prior to YYAS I was left in the dark about what is needed to apply college. Other than the rare university workshops that I attended once in a while in my community, I pretty much knew little to nothing about college and university applications. However, the daily university guidance sessions at YYAS held by Ms. Laura and the individualized assistance I received during the nightly workshops with my Yale student instructor changed this. Now I know who to ask for letters of recommendation, what I need to improve about my personal essay, and, overall, how to present myself as best I can to a university of my choice.


Although it was a shock at first, the diagnostic practice SAT test that we took in the beginning of the week helped me pinpoint exactly what I needed to work on to improve my test-taking skills. I also found the daily SAT preparation classes taught by Ms. Esther to be immensely helpful. With much needed tips and tricks up my sleeve, I now feel better prepared!






Most importantly, before YYAS I had never considered myself as leadership material. I used to be more the type of student that was quietly involved in executing plans, and never thought I would be the ones calling the shots. But now I can say that my definition of a leader has broadened and I am more confident in myself. Although I might not fit the criteria of a stereotypical leader, I do not need to. I am a proud alumna of the YYAS Program!