Thursday, May 31, 2018

My Invaluable Experience at YYAS: Insight for Prospective Candidates, by Kcaliphate Dulleh

My YYAS experience was beyond invaluable to my work as a future leader! Now an alumnus of the program, I can confidently say that my time at YYAS helped me to become a stronger student. I am better equipped with the necessary skills and techniques for applying to universities online and tackling the SAT exam. I have also gained unique insight into global issues and connected with a wide range of peer networks across Africa.



Before my acceptance to YYAS, my ability to respond to critical questions was feeble. Whenever someone asked, “Why do you want to attend our program like this,” I gave vague responses. The moment I started writing the essays, however, I felt that I was about to enter a life changing journey to secure a promising future and education. I reached out to my friend Sekou who had attended YYAS the year prior. He helped me think more critically when responding to the application questions. This guidance and peer support was so appreciated. Where I’m from in Liberia, such online processes are never easy, and providing supporting documents is cumbersome and hard to come by. However, through perseverance and grit, I became empowered to succeed. I was soon ready to start preparing for future applications to universities. To all future applicants, even if you are not accepted to YYAS know that you are on the road to success just by trying!


Truthfully, I was thrilled when I got accepted. The thought of new experiences like sitting on a plane for the first time, meeting friends from around Africa, and living in another country for one week was awe inspiring. I developed confidence in myself and I am now a more optimistic person. I think such an opportunity is only guaranteed at YYAS.


Looking back, I recall with fond memory those funny games we played as a group. I only wish we could have stayed many more weeks! I met some great friends, too, including Yalekeme Edolor and Francis Koroma, who were very sociable and whom I consider to be my true brothers. We established a relationship in seven days which I had not experienced before the program, something that I imagined could only happen at a university.


YYAS has empowered me to pursue higher education. It has exposed me to both local and international perspectives and challenges and opportunities. It has introduced me to the demanding U.S. university admission procedures, while connecting me to other like-minded African students.




Hearing lectures from Yale faculty was also invaluable to my learning. The professors lectured on various topics including pediatric care, HIV/AIDS, democracy in Africa, and philosophy, among other things. This knowledge helped build my intellectual muscles. It was so mind-blowing! Honestly, I had never experienced such a long duration of learning over a short amount of time. It was academically intense unlike my usual schooling in Liberia, where I was pushed to debate and discuss opposing views in class. Whereas before I used to be a bit shy among large groups, this program led me to believe that there is no such thing as a wrong idea. I realized that we can all approach issues differently with our own perspectives, but we can all be right when treated with respect.


A big ‘thank you’ to the entire YYAS Team for facilitating a splendid program, and in particular to Ms. Laura who made YYAS a place that belongs to everyone. Thank you as well to my venerable and outgoing friend Sekou who inspired me to apply and take hold of this opportunity. A very big thanks to Brother Seleke A. Kromah for not only helping me with a letter of recommendation during the application process, but also for helping most Muslim Congress High School students succeed and who now have the chance to study abroad. My sincere appreciation to Brother Alieu Fuad Nyei. And, of course, a huge thanks to my family for their support.