Wednesday, May 16, 2018

An Experience Worth Saying YYAS!, by Nancy Yunan Liu

Nancy Liu '17 (second from right) takes a selfie with her new friends at YYAS.
As I walked into Arundel school lugging my overstuffed suitcase, I was struck by the architecture and lush greenery of the campus. We were soon ushered into the auditorium where we collected our name tags and drawstring bags containing supplies we’d need throughout the week. This hall was where we’d spend the next few days doing SAT prep, being engrossed in lectures by accomplished Yale faculty, and learning about the college application process.


Throughout YYAS my critical thinking, creativity, and communication skills were put to the test. The rigorous seminars such as The International Criminal Court (for Africa?) and Campaign Speeches: How and Why They Work (or Don’t), as well as workshops such as the NSEW-Leadership Compass, explored multiple perspectives on issues that dared me to think “outside the box”. Fresh opinions were met with respect rather than judgement which made everyone in the group feel at ease.



Eloquent guest speakers from various professions inspired me to “be the genius of my cycle,” instilling the belief that a single voice—my voice—has the power to effect change. It was humbling to listen to others speak so passionately about their ideas for reversing the damaging effects of colonialism, corruption, and patriarchal societies. During heated debates, I would look around the room and notice how, despite our unique appearances, backgrounds, and views, we all carried the same responsibility. We are Africa’s future. I left each discussion filled with a deep sense of satisfaction as well as the thought that I have so much yet to learn.

The Yale mentors were approachable and easy-going. I really appreciated how they made an effort to get to know you and answered honestly about their experiences in university. They were real people who had overcome numerous challenges to be where they are today—which made me think that maybe I could too. Although the tight schedule kept us busy all day, meal times, breaks, and enrichment activities were fantastic times to socialize. My workshop group which consisted of six wonderful human beings including our leader, Jake, will always have a special place in my heart. We were given valuable feedback which was tailored to our personal statements, got to know each other on a deeper level, and played intense card games!



I had gone to YYAS in search of a feeling warmth and I had found it amidst an auditorium filled with hardworking students, a cafeteria erupting with laughter, and exhausted teens sprawled across the lawn. The friends I made came from wildly different cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, and yet we had similar tastes in music, books, and movies! We shared stories and snacks from all corners of the continent, becoming something I can only describe as family. We ate meals together, endured the grueling diagnostic SAT, debated fervently, and laughed uncontrollably. This for me was the real magic of YYAS.

When the final night rolled around to the infamous talent show, my friends who I had known as goofy intellectuals transformed into musicians, slam poets, and magicians! It was a superb way to wrap up the week. The morning we said goodbye also happened to be my birthday. As I walked out of Arundel School, I left with not only the leadership skills I acquired and the precious friends I had made, but also a firm belief that my dreams were attainable. It was the perfect gift.