Wednesday, February 14, 2018

"This is Just the Beginning": The Story of a Lifetime with YYAS, by Josh Nyoni

The early morning sun threw my shadow westwards as I hurried for my first lecturer. I was still gripped by euphoria and could not believe my luck. I had made it for the 2016 Yale Young African Scholars Program at Arundel School in Zimbabwe.

I was surrounded by intelligent and rather talented individuals: My fellow Africans. As we sat in the hall, everyone’s eyes beamed with joy and excitement. That is the day I realized that I had not just made it into the program, but I’d taken part in a life changing opportunity that most people long for. It was more like a blessing.


The program had more of a university feel in the way things were done. It was exciting and unique to be in such an environment. It felt like learning at an actual university! Lectures were delivered by leading Yale University professors, followed by discussion groups.

During the day I took seminars and at night I met with my workshop group, where I learned more tips and strategies for applying to university. I admit, between the SAT and ACT it was quite difficult to choose which standardized test to take when I returned home. Regardless, I got really great advice from the tutors and learned effective test-taking strategies. It was amazing!

Throughout the program, YYAS emphasized diversity and equality for everyone, despite students’ cultural differences. I made lifelong friendships, and even managed to learn brief sentences in a foreign language. At YYAS I explored academic interests that I never thought I would ever pursue. All program members, from instructional staff to lecturers, and from students to university admissions officers, were motivating and supported me from the beginning to the end.

The best part of the program was the talent show, which followed the awards ceremony and marked the end of the YYAS session. During the show there were unique performances put on by students from different cultural backgrounds. These acts showcased the real beauty of Africa! I even got to be Master of Ceremony which was a real treat.


Every day I think about my past experience at the YYAS program. Not only did I learn to be a better communicator, but I also learned how to be a better team player and a more responsible person. The staff and students became my brothers and sisters. I was so inspired by their efforts. Thanks to YYAS, I have obtained a cross-cultural understanding of my beautiful continent and developed new leadership skills that will last me a lifetime.

Thanks to YYAS, the opportunities ahead of me are endless. This is just the beginning.