Thursday, May 3, 2018

YYAS: A Life-Transforming Experience, by Yeabsira Degefu

Yeabsira Degefu '17 (right) with a Yale student instructor (middle) and fellow participant (left) during YYAS 2017 in Rwanda.
My experience at the Yale Young African Scholars Program (YYAS) has helped to shape me in ways I didn’t even think were possible. Besides the expected academic coursework, it taught me a lot about teamwork, independence, responsibility, leadership, and diversity. With over thirty African countries represented in my Rwanda cohort, I met students from all across the continent. Not only did I experience being away from my family for the first time, but I was exposed to different cultures, traditions, and values—it was phenomenal! 

YYAS provided me with a unique experience of travelling and spending a week independent of my family. I have learned to function on my own and make myself comfortable in a crowd of people I’m not familiar with. The people who were strangers to me at the beginning of the program were like family at the end. It really felt like I had built lifelong friendships through my shared experience with the wonderful students there. It was very fascinating to be in a room filled with future leaders not only of Africa, but also the world. 



Each day of the program was filled with thrilling activities and events. Every evening we were asked to share something that we learned during the day that we didn’t know the previous day. This helped us learn from one another and gave us the opportunity to see things from different perspectives. I had the opportunity to talk to most of the students during our free time and learn about different cultures in Africa. It was so intriguing how everyone had different backgrounds and stories to share!

Throughout the week we received guidance on the university application process, heard lectures delivered by Yale professors and local speakers, and met admissions officers and representatives from many reputable universities. In addition we had free SAT tutorials in both small and large group settings, and had enrichment activities (fancy name for games!) with lessons about leadership and the importance of teamwork. And let me not forget to mention the fun talent show on the last evening! At the end of the program, we were given mentors to help us for the next year with our university applications. 

Looking back, I see that YYAS made a positive impact on me in many ways. After attending the program, I gained a new perspective—not only of myself, but also of the world around me. I never thought of myself as a leader before attending. During the application process, after reading that the program was designed for leaders, I didn’t think that I would make it. But now, after the whole experience, I learned what it really means to be a leader and that everyone has the capacity to develop into one. I also realized that every person has something very unique to share with others, and joining hands is the key to solving major world problems.  




My YYAS experience helped me greatly develop a lot of important life skills. The program has had a lasting impact on me and helped me see my future path more clearly. Every moment of the YYAS program was enjoyable. I’m very grateful that I had this opportunity and I strongly encourage others to apply!