Tuesday, January 9, 2018

YYAS: The Experience of a Lifetime, by Wesi Gaobolelelwe

"I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy…" -Charles R. Swindoll


I learned about the Yale Young African Scholars Program (YYAS) during a school assembly. At first, I was pretty skeptical. The pictures and videos that were shown revealed so little about the program. I didn’t expect it to be jam-packed with excitement, life lessons, and amazing food.

Wesi Gaobolelelwe (left), with other YYAS 2017 participants, during a lecture in Ghana. Photo credit to Higherlife Foundation.
YYAS is designed to introduce secondary students in Africa to the demanding university and financial aid application processes, though that’s not all we took away from the experience. We also learned about leadership and how to come together as one, embrace diversity, and work with other passionate, driven, and talented individuals from across the continent.

Being part of the 300 participants, chosen from more than 2000 applicants, was truly an honor. When I found out I was accepted in April, it was then that I realized, “I made it. This is really happening!” The countdown began and in no time I found myself sitting in the airport waiting to board my flight to Ghana. 


The week I spent in Ghana attending YYAS was simply amazing. I learned so much from the facilitators and lecturers, but the most special and meaningful things I learned were from the other high school students around me. Being with so many people from all over Africa showed me how we’re so connected. Before my trip one of my fears was being alone most of the time. However, when I got to Ghana there was never a time I felt alone. I met new people every day. During lunches we had engaging discussions amongst ourselves and the staff; snack time was always accompanied by music. My free time was spent on the basketball courts singing, dancing, shooting hoops, or playing soccer. It was a lively week filled with fun activities and games.

I thought that being from the South—and the only person in my program from Botswana—would make me stick out like a sore thumb. I realized, though, that it didn’t matter: our differences were what brought us together. Listening to some of the folk tales from my new friends, and sharing some of my own, showed me how similar we were despite culture, politics, color, and geographic distance.


Towards the end of the trip, leaving was the last thing on my mind. The YYAS instructional staff, leadership team, and the other students had become family. I highly recommend YYAS to anyone who wants to grow as a person, learn and experience different cultures, and make lifelong friendships. It has opened me up to so many opportunities, and if I had the chance to do it again, I would without a doubt.