Thursday, January 18, 2018

My Experience as a Yale Young African Scholar, by Celine Kichwen

Celine Kichwen (left), a YYAS 2017 alumna from Kenya, shares a smile with another participant, Kene, from Nigeria.
July 29th, 2017: I remember that first morning so clearly. As I made my way to the airport I was overjoyed since it was my first time leaving Kenya. Standing in the queue and checking in felt like eternity, but soon I was on the plane and headed for Ghana. I had so many expectations and I can proudly say that YYAS met all of them!


I, along with two others from Kenya—Yvonne and Amos—arrived in Accra around noon. We were picked up by a member of the YYAS team and then taken to Tema International School. The hot weather was a real struggle but I easily coped. I entered the dining hall and I was shocked: I didn't expect to see so many students. They all looked so jovial and full of knowledge just waiting to be passed to the rest. The first friend I made in Ghana was Faith. She guided me to the various rooms showing me where I was meant to be and at what time. Even though we had just met, we talked so much that it seemed like we had known each other for a long time.

My seminars were “The Art and Science of Engineering Design,” “The International Criminal Court (for Africa?),” and “Gender in Africa.” In each seminar I had a chance to learn both from the Yale student instructors and my fellow participants, too. We also had debates within the seminars; each person contributed their ideas and opinion, thus offering different points of view. The lectures, taught both by Yale University professors and local scholars and practitioners, were also highly informative.

In the evening workshop, I met my “family” for the week. We were eight students altogether, plus our workshop leader, Naima, who is also from Kenya. During the subsequent sessions I came to better understand how to write essays—the concept of “telling” and “showing,” as explained by Naima. During the test preparation course with Ms. Esther, I took a mock SAT exam. It was difficult to finish everything in the time allotted, but after the first few sessions I was confident that I could tackle any SAT exam with ease. 

Throughout the week the university guidance presentations made by Ms. Laura, the YYAS Program Manager, and the admissions fair with university representatives from North America and Africa, taught me what to look out for as I prepare my university applications.


The talent show was the last major session at YYAS following the certificate ceremony. I enjoyed watching my friends showcase their talents and different cultures through poetry, song, and dance. I also participated by dancing with my fellow Kenyans on stage!

Attending YYAS has so far been my most exciting experience. I can confidently say that YYAS was a major milestone in my life. I learned so much about the whole process of applying for universities and the different opportunities for financial aid and scholarship. I had a chance to meet and interact with students from all over Africa and learn about various cultures firsthand. And finally, at YYAS, I was given a family; I believe that the bonds we created will go a long way.