Wednesday, December 20, 2017

My Experience at YYAS 2017 in Zimbabwe

Peter Amprako (second from left) with his fellow YYAS 2017 participants in Zimbabwe.

The 2017 Yale Young African Scholar Program (YYAS) in Zimbabwe was an insightful, exciting, and life-changing experience for me. My participation in this education program exposed me to many new things and gave me a good introduction to an international learning environment.

Firstly, this program granted me the opportunity to see the world outside my own country, Ghana. I was fortunate to interact with other youth from different African countries and cultures. I learned to express myself in a university-like setting and share my knowledge and experiences with others.

During the program, I also learned about leadership and teamwork through enrichment activities, such as the lily pad game and the leadership compass activity. There was great satisfaction learning how to work with others in team exercises and drawing upon each other’s ideas to complete a task.


Additionally, I was informed about the opportunities to pursue my education in the United States and elsewhere. Initially, I had no clue about these possibilities for tertiary education, but with this exposure at YYAS I learned so much! The test preparation organized was also really transforming. I gained new testing skills related to reading comprehension, essay writing, and math. I became more conscience with time management, solving complex mathematics problems, and reasoning logically. The social topics discussed, as well as science themes and games, have made me a more well-rounded thinker.

To sum it up, the YYAS program was a great platform for me to think critically and outside the box, confront issues in my society head on, and develop necessary leadership skills to succeed in the classroom and in life. These experiences will surely help me to achieve my future goals and contribute to the development of my country, and that of Africa.