Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"I've listened to other motivational speakers but Rachel's speech hit home."

Bethel Gebremariam
Ethiopia

Associate Director for Africa, Rachel Nyaradzo Adams
I came to YYAS expecting a grueling schedule, humorless instructors, basically a school environment minus the fun. But that is so far from the truth.

Yes, we have a grueling schedule. Yeah, I'm losing two hours of sleep but all the lectures, seminars, workshops, and project groups are actually very fun. I had my first seminar yesterday about water power. I expected a dull session but it was actually very engaging!

Don't even get me started on Rachel Adams! I've listened to other motivational speakers but Rachel's speech hit home. The workshops are so extremely helpful. I think the problem in Ethiopia and many other African countries, I assume, is that information does not circulate; it's hard to get the word out. I wish my friends were here with me but unfortunately, they're not. So i'll try to pass on what I've learned and help them as YYAS has done for me. Speaking about friends, I have met so many interesting people. I've made wonderful friends, like my roommate - she's awesome!

I want to conclude by saying thank you so much YYAS Team, and please, please, PLEASE return next year and help young aspirers in Africa with their applications and everything, basically.

p.s. I hope Eno will sing for us at the talent show :)