Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"It was transformative. It was new and fresh. It was revolutionary."

Leiya Salis
First day at YYAS!
Ghana

“Wow. What was that?”

Those were the first words I uttered as my dad`s red KIA rolled out of Yiri Lodge, hopping into the busy streets of Accra. The YYAS program was more than a rigorous summer program. It was transformative. It was new and fresh. It was revolutionary. Yes, I am a lover of fancy, dramatic words, but this time I am not exaggerating.

When I entered the doors of Yiri Lodge that blessed Monday afternoon, I was but a teenage girl, yearning for something to spice up my summer. I was hungry for real food and brain food. When I left however, something in me had changed. You all noticed it. The twinkle in our eyes, the flame burning in our hearts. You all felt it. YYAS kindled the passionate African in us in a mere week. Whether it was through the seminars and project groups, or just the simple interactions I had in the New Lounge, every single word I exchanged with anyone during the program fueled my intellectual development.
Kweku Awotwi, Founder, African Precious Minerals Ltd.

Kweku Awotwi was right when he said “Africa is a great place once you get to see it.” Now I see it. And I cannot wait till we can make it even better.