Tuesday, March 5, 2019

My Awesome Experience at YYAS...Oh, What a Summer! By Christian Sunday

Christian (left) with some of his new friends from YYAS last year!

My name is Christian Sunday and I am from Nigeria. Fortunately, I participated in the Yale Young African Scholars Program that took place last year at Tema International School outside Accra, Ghana. Its a pleasure sharing my experience of this great summer.

Initially, I saw YYAS on Google as one of the educational opportunities for African students. I kept thinking about the program, so, I gave it a try. I was anxious as I struggled to complete the application on time but I finally submitted. Then, in late March I got an email. 

Lo and behold, I read my admission letter and was accepted into YYAS. I couldn't believe my eyes — I asked my brother to read as well just to be sure. Being accepted for such an opportunity as a secondary school student, having never applied for something like that before, was such a fabulous feeling.


Oh, what a summer! My YYAS experience was a mix of emotions. It was fun meeting new friends from all across the continent of Africa. I met outstanding students of high intelligent quotients and it was quite exhilarating sharing experiences with them. Thanks to Miss Esther, the SAT tutor. She teaches eloquently and I really benefited from her because before YYAS, I was not very familiar with SAT, but now feel much more confident in my test-taking abilities!



I also met different admission officers from diverse universities and institutions—not just in the United States, but around the world, and even in Africa. And, lest I forget, our cohort received university guidance by the Program Manager, Laura. I benefited greatly from learning what a Liberal Arts Curriculum means and various financial aid processes and statistics.

During the program, I attended lectures delivered by Yale University faculty members and seminars covering a wide range of interesting topics. I had one seminar taught by Lizzie who told us about 'Biological Barriers' and focused on gene modification. And how can I forget my workshop instructor Malaika?! She would always stop us from calling her 'Ma' since it makes her feel old, but my peers and I really look up to her. She even did YYAS herself when she was in high school!


I can't afford to exclude the fabulous talent show which was extremely interesting. The evening was filled with glamours of applauding performances. I performed Shaku-Shaku dance moves and people loved it! I also had fun doing the Ghanaian traditional dance moves and seeing another display of cultural heritage.

I will always remember when the program drew to a close and that moment when everyone began to cry because the panic of having to say goodbye began to set. As I'm reminded of this, there is a proverb that comes to mind which is, "A tree cannot make a forest." Together we are one, and I'm so happy for my summer experience.

To all my fellow Africans who have applied to the program — YYAS is REAL. Smile knowing that your application is complete. You've done the hard part already! As you wait for the results, just breathe and keep persevering. The sky is your limit!