Friday, April 26, 2019

On the Path of Becoming a Global Change Marker: A Reflection of YYAS 2018

It all started when I saw a link in my email notifying me to check my application status. The first thing I saw was, “Congratulations! You have been accepted to participate in the YYAS 2018 program in Ghana. After my acceptance to the program, I began to meet other accepted participants on social media.

My first day at the Yale young African scholars program in Ghana was a day to remember. Early in the morning after having breakfast with peers, we took a practice SAT test. Although it was at first daunting, it was beneficial in informing us of our strengths and weakness with the test, and helped us to better prepare.




The lectures by professors and Yale students were so educative fascinating. Meeting world -renowned, professors with a common passion of enlightening the minds of young Africans towards becoming change makers and social transformers. Having the opportunity to meet those people has contributed to my perspective about the world of the 21st century. For example, I learned more about robotics and how its contributions to global development, as well as its challenges. The lecture entitled Democracy, Law and Politics confirmed my passion to study political science and become a teen leader in politics and activism.



This program has positively impacted my journey to become a change maker and a social transformer. Group discussions, workshops and group presentations were all crucial to my personal and intellectual growth. Participating in these activities have also helped me to become more confident in my public speaking skills.

Right now, I am able to benefit human society through what I learned from the Yale Young African Scholars Program. So, cadres, counterparts, comrades please after reading this blog post, please consider applying to YYAS!