Friday, March 29, 2019

Fun Work and Productive Fun at YYAS- Naomi DaCosta

Although I was indifferent a week to YYAS due to a stressful summer, I can now say that YYAS is an experience that has changed me forever.

My dorm at YYAS was amazing. I got to share a room with some of the most wonderful people ever. Whitney, Joy, Sam… They were unlike most people I have ever meet: they were fun. Although I spend a lot of time in school, I am not close to my dorm mates. But, my YYAS dorm mates challenged me to come out of my shell.



Since I’ve never been one for letting go of challenges, I made up my mind to try and have more fun. It’s been a decision I will never forget. I finally stopped worrying about almost everything: my test scores, my extracurricular activities and my future. They made me realize the importance of both productive work and fun social life.

My YYAS workshop was especially fun. We discussed almost everything from liberal arts college and the varying receptions of the amount of spice in the food served at YYAS (I thought it wasn't spicy). Although a huge part of YYAS is about learning interesting ideas, there is a lot more to the program. You form incredible bonds with your YYAS workshop family, other participants, and instructors (who are Yale students). At YYAS, you're not expected to simply listen, copy notes and nod, but rather express your own ideas, ask questions, and debate topics.



As a YYAS alum, I believe I have begun stepping out of my comfort zone. I believe I can strive and work to bring change to my continent. Maybe I won't be the nest Nelson Mandela but I do hope I will be able to change people's love. YYAS has been life-changing, and for that, I am very grateful.